These are the highest 10 posts by engagement for 2022 at tomtunguz.com.
Reflecting on them, I see they clustered on web3 & the fundraising market, each of which skilled a tumultuous yr. Promoting within the pandemic & post-pandemic additionally drew a whole lot of curiosity.
I’m grateful to everybody who learn them, commented, debated, & shared them.
- The Internet 3 Advertising Stack: The Subsequent Large Wave in Crypto. I wrote about my thesis that web3 applied sciences will underpin each a elementary change in web2 advertisements by changing the cookie with an NFT & the instruments web3 startups might want to pay for progress throughout the present winter.
- The State of Web3 in 2022 by way of Information. Delivered at DuneCon, this presentation supplies an aerial view of the state of web3. About 2.5m energetic customers, about 5k builders committing code, & 70-90% drops in exercise from the start of the yr.
- Figma’s 50x ARR A number of & What it Means for Startup Fundraising. Adobe’s acquisition of Figma on the highest ARR a number of ever for a company-at-scale shocked the market that was reeling from the macroeconomic shock.
- Intentionally Underselling as Gross sales Technique Borne from a collection of Workplace Hours with Lee Kirkpatrick & Invoice Binch, this publish advocates for faster gross sales cycles with smaller ACVs to drive extra predictability & superior NDR. Additionally, this technique minimizes pipeline provide shocks.
- Development is No Longer the Greatest Predictor of a Software program Firm’s Worth. After a twelve-year lengthy bull run, buyers not worth progress at-any-cost. Effectivity issues only a bit extra within the public markets. A watershed change that cascaded into the personal markets that has led to a big bid/ask unfold between founders & buyers.
- 9 Predictions for Information in 2023 Delivered at Monte Carlo’s IMPACT summit, I touched on the evolution of the last decade of knowledge. Greater than half of analytics workloads reside within the cloud in ten years.
- Gray Skies in Cloud Earnings I charted the earnings experiences of the three largest cloud infrastructure corporations as an index of software program shopping for conduct. Development charges for these behemoths have fallen in half from 44% on common to 22% in two quarters, underscoring the lengthening gross sales cycles of enterprise software program.
- Fundraising 2022 The place We Are & The place We’re Going From Traction in Vancouver, these slides demonstrated the bid/ask unfold between VCs & founders. Buyers noticed the general public markets fall 70% & surveyed founders replied they anticipated a ten% decline in valuations. The place these two meet will decide the setting for 2023.
- Think about You’re a Enterprise Capitalist. This posts questions methods to handle a enterprise fund: whether or not to double down on corporations throughout a altering valuation setting.
- $112m of Market Cap per Engineer. I calculated the whole worth creation in web3 & divided by the energetic variety of builders to estimate this statistic. The determine has fallen by 80% or so since I wrote it. Regardless, I nonetheless consider within the potential of web3 applied sciences.